Sunday, July 26, 2015

Kitchen sink redo: Cutting the countertop to size and fitting sink

In this post, I am cutting the countertop to size and making the new sink cut out.

This is an exciting step, it means we are close to getting things back together and should soon have a functioning kitchen.

First, I had measured the amount of cut off I needed to get the sink right where we want it to sit. I also want to use the cut offs for the backsplash, so I settled on 1" strip from the back and inside edge.
I simply ran the long end down a table saw with the guard set to 1", then clamped a straight edge and ran a circular saw down the short edge. After the cuts, I took a hand sander and smoothed out the sides and rounded the edges.  Voila!

Next, I traced the sink right where we want it to set and used a paddle bit to cut lead ins for the jigsaw.

The jigsaw wasn't quite 'cutting' it, so a little readjusting allowed for the circular saw to run along the straight edge, and within minutes the sink hole was cut.

After rounding and smoothing the edges with a small power sander, we did a dry fit to make sure we didnt need to make any adjustments.

Everything looked right, so it was time to set it back on the sawhorseys and oil it up.

At this point, we are are getting very close to having water back in our kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment